Dress Stoning – Final Product

So I finished stoning this pink/fuchsia smooth dress ages ago, but never shared the final product.

Here’s how it started:

IMG_3997

Stage 1: Stoning the lace with volcano and heliotrope 16ss stones (both are special effects stones)

stoneddress

Stage 2: Added fuchsia Czech stones to the ruched areas and a bunch more heliotrope in different sizes to the bust/back, as well as a few large fancy stones.  Also some hyacinth AB to flower centers/swirly lacy bits.

IMG_0642     IMG_0645

It’s about 20-24 gross worth of stones, I think? Which translates to a couple of thousand. A whole lot of shiny, pretty much (though honestly, not that much compared to designer dresses.)  I didn’t keep track of how much time it took, but probably 10-20 hours? But, it’s fun! Kind of a relaxing activity.  You can just put on some music or some tv show you don’t mind half-watching and the time goes by.

In action:

Photo Credit: Don Moser

A couple things I figured out while doing this – if you have mesh layered over another fabric, put a plastic bag in between the layers so that the glue doesn’t seep all the way through.  Especially if there’s ruching involved with the mesh.  I ended up just readjusting the ruching and stoning most of the surface to make sure there was enough coverage.  Also, don’t let the glue dry completely before peeling the plastic bag away, or else you could get bits of plastic glued to the dress.  Another lesson – again, with double layered fabric, it might be better to sew large sew-on stones only on one layer instead of going all the way through both, mostly so it looks nicer on the inside.  Not a huge deal, but something I would keep in mind for the future.

Advertisements

New Dress!

I ordered a new standard/smooth dress (more for smooth) a little over a month ago and it finally arrived! It fits great.  Almost…other than the crotch area being both extra roomy and extra-high-cut (awkward) and the dress being an entire two and a half inches too long in length.  My partner and I took it for a test run and managed okay, but the length is a little too risky for comfort, particularly for smooth, so I’m looking into fixing that.

In the meantime, these will serve as “before” pictures of the plain dress.  I ordered it unstoned because I don’t like plastic-y Korean stones and I could probably do a nicer job for cheaper if I stone it myself with Swarovski and Preciosa crystals.

IMG_3997

The front!

IMG_3999

The back! Kind of looks exactly like the front…it’s a bit more asymmetrical.

I plan to stone the lacy flower bits in a mixture of heliotrope and volcano Swarovskis (basically, purple, plus this cool color-changing stone that shifts from orange to pink to purple), and then scatter fuchsia Preciosas on the rest of the bodice.  Maybe later put some larger sew-on crystal shapes on the bust area, mixed with fuchsia ABs or something. Soon the cost of the stones will be equal to the cost of the dress… Anyway, I’ll post updates when this stoning actually happens.  Should be fun! And incredibly time-consuming, involving gluing over 4000 stones individually by hand.