As 2013 comes to a close, I’d like to reflect on what I’ve done/accomplished this year when it comes to dance and contemplate my goals for 2014. Winter break hasn’t been great for that, since I haven’t practiced for a good three weeks now, but oh well! I did have a lesson on my own with my old coach from home, which was great.
In 2013, I have:
- Gotten back into open smooth and standard (novice/pre-champ) with pretty good results
- Graduated from syllabus smooth/standard (again)
- Learned 8 new routines
- Danced with one regular partner and competed with 4+ others TBA
- Found a new awesome smooth coach, thanks to friends’ recommendations
- Sold my first ballroom dress 😦 but got two new ones 😀
- Started my first big dress stoning project
- Mentored quite a few people in dance, including newbies, who are the most fun (but also sometimes the toughest) to work with
- Got an iPhone, which means I can now record lots of video
For 2014, I’d like to:
- Place in the top three in standard
- Move up to pre-champ/champ in smooth (daunting, but doable, I think)
- Attend USA Dance Nationals, maybe aim to win Novice Smooth? *fingers crossed*
- Dance more consistently
- Survive Viennese and quickstep (also daunting)
- Work on teaching – I might be co-teaching my team’s beginner classes this semester
- Compete in Latin more consistently, maybe moving up to learning some open routines eventually, but we’ll see
- Do another dress stoning project perhaps – totally unnecessary but so fun!
- Make my own jewelry
- Run rounds more consistently – they suck but they’re so necessary for improving endurance
- Have a very productive summer – maybe attend Independence Day Ball?
- Update this blog more regularly
As you perhaps can tell, I love lists. What are your dance goals for next year, and how do you plan on tackling them?